Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

When I knew

notebook
“I am participating in the ‘Writing Contest: You Are A Writer’ held by Positive Writer.” - See more at: http://positivewriter.com/writing-contest-you-are-a-writer/#sthash.eHv66eNk.dpuf
“I am participating in the ‘Writing Contest: You Are A Writer’ held by Positive Writer.” - See more at: http://positivewriter.com/writing-contest-you-are-a-writer/#sthash.eHv66eNk.dpuf
“I am participating in the ‘Writing Contest: You Are A Writer’ held by Positive Writer.” - See more at: http://positivewriter.com/writing-contest-you-are-a-writer/#sthash.eHv66eNk.dpuf
“I am participating in the ‘Writing Contest: You Are A Writer’ held by Positive Writer.” - See more at: http://positivewriter.com/writing-contest-you-are-a-writer/#sthash.eHv66eNk.dpuf

 I have always been an avid reader. In grade school I was the awkward kid who found a little corner off to the side and read a book during recess instead of playing kickball. I was a champ at four square though. I was always getting lost in the world I created in my head with the help of the likes of LM Montgomery, Louisa May Alcott and Madeleine L'engle. It never occurred to me that I could ever create such wonderful stories until I read Harriet the Spy (by Louise Fitzhugh). In Harriet I found a kindred spirit. And I did all I could to imitate her by writing about everything I saw. But things got rocky for Harriet and that held me back. I wanted to be smarter than Harriet; learn from her mistakes without actually making them myself. So I didn't fully commit, I dabbled but wouldn't lose myself in my own creations like I did with others'.

The turning point came during in 5th grade. The annual young authors competition brought something out in me I hadn't really felt before. Sharing my weekly progress with my classmates made me want to share more and more. Let everyone see this castle-in-the-air of my creation. I read my story to everyone who would sit still long enough. It was a compulsion to make people understand what I saw when I closed my eyes. A few years later when I began writing poetry, I realized how futile that was. Now I look forward to seeing how others interpret what always seems so clear to me when I first put pen to paper. In college I had a random acquaintance tell me he looked forward to following my career, that was when I really felt like I had arrived. I realized my so-called-dabbling was something real and concrete not just to me but to others as well. I write primarily for myself, but I am not the only reader I keep in mind. Like your stereotypical writer I crave approval, adoration even.

~Tasneem

note: I got the idea for this post from a contest hosted by Positive Writer


No comments:

Post a Comment