Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Cooking Countesses: Mango Banana Smoothie

Drink up!
It had been my intention to bake a banana chocolate chip cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. I have recently been all about baking cakes for no apparent reason. However, the weather had other plans. Turning on the oven in the middle of a heat wave when your air conditioner doesn't work and your sister thinks you are a hillbilly family because you roam around in your underwear is just so unappealing.

The ingredients


But, I had bananas I had been saving for my cake. They were perfect mushy brownness. Then I remembered I recently bought chia seeds and mango, and Maria reminded me that quick things are always best during Ramadan. So an idea was born. This makes a delightfully thick shake that fills you up and makes sure you get all sorts of good nutrients. I suppose you could thin it out by adding more milk but we like spoonable shakes around here.

~T

Toss it all into the blender



Mango Banana Smoothie (makes 1 jug: 5-6 glasses)

1 1/2 cups greek yogurt
2 tbsp chia seeds
4 medium ripe bananas
1 mango
1 tbsp elderflower syrup
1/2 cup milk

1. Toss all the ingredients into a blender.
2. Pulse for a minute and then shake the canister so the liquid settles on the bottom
3. Blend for 3-5 minutes until the mango chunks disappear
5. optional: add sugar to taste (we thought it was sweet enough on its own)
4. Let sit for about 30 mins so the chia seeds have a chance to soak up some of the liquid to really thicken the shake 
6.  Enjoy!

My baby is a fan of this smoothie



No comments:

Post a Comment