Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cooking Countesses: Butter Chicken Remix


Throw it in to the pot! 

 It's been a very busy past few months, with finishing up wedding details, the actual wedding, honeymooning, and of course settling back in to Manchester in to my new apartment. Like every good new daughter in law I wanted to have my new parents and brother over for dinner. I decided to make butter chicken, but it didn't exactly taste like it. The reason being is because when I began cooking I realized butter chicken really uses too much butter; not a very nutritious dinner I'd say. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to take a picture of the finished product so above I have all the ingredients I used. Luckily the dinner turned out great and it was a success having the family over for dinner. I can definitely see some more dinners happening in the near future.

~M

Butter Chicken (serves about 5 adults)

Ingredients:
4 fairly large chicken breasts (chicken pieces on the bone can be used as well)
1/2 an onion, chopped
3 tsp garlic ginger paste (or freshly chopped)
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp garam masala
3 tsp laal mirch/red chilli powder (put as much or little as you like, depends on how spicy you like it)
3 tbsp tomato puree
5 tbsp butter
3 tbsp plain yogurt
lemon juice to taste

1. brown the onions in a bit of oil then add the chopped chicken
2. add the garlic ginger paste, turmeric, garam masala, laal mirch and let cook for a few minutes
3. mix in tomato puree and butter, allow chicken to simmer and cook until cooked (if you would like more sauce add a little water)
4. once the chicken is fully cooked, lower the heat and add the yogurt and allow it to cook for another 20 minutes

Usually this dish is served with rice or naan. Add as much or as little spice, it all depends on how you enjoy it. Add salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Remember, I'm no chef; so this recipe isn't perfect. I don't have an exact system of measuring, I just put in however much I think is needed or want. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment