Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Cooking Countesses

Kitchen Fail

There really is nothing like a home cooked meal. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty good cook and when I go to my finance's family home, his mom's food is also really tasty. But at the end of the day, I really miss eating food cooked by my own mummy and sister. I miss those familiar smells and tastes. My soon to be family is African, they have some very different foods compared to my Pakistani family. I've had the opportunity to taste and learn about different foods, but I still miss the classics I'm used to. I even miss cleaning up together with my sister, we would take turns everyday doing different tasks so our mom could relax. After all, mummy did do all the cooking and preparation for dinner.

Moving away from home means the first time I have to properly cook for myself; and it hasn't exactly been easy. Not because I don't know how to cook, but because my apartment my kitchen really isn't the best. The basics are there, but they aren't the best quality-wise. Since September I have had to master the foreign-to-me ways of cooking on an electric stove top. Although it took some time to get used to, I think I have a good handle on it now. Which is a good thing since my new place will have one too. I am afraid to use the oven though. I honestly think it will blow up if I try. And this Fahrenheit to Celsius business is pretty annoying as well.

It's also difficult to have to share a small kitchen with 3 other girls. We have limited pantry storage and fridge/freezer space. There have been many times I was unable to cook when I wanted to because someone else already was. To make matters worse, up until January we had a fridge that stuck out into the small kitchen space we had because it wasn't the right size. It's been quite the experience learning to live on my own and cook for myself.

Hopefully in my new home my sister and I can try new recipes together when I have a nice spacious kitchen to work in.

~Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment